I was inspired to make this dress by reading The Sewing Diva's review on this classic pattern - New Look 6429 - The Perfect Summer Dress.
Tim Gunn from Project Runway US says dressing is all about - The fit, the sillouette and the proportion and this pattern has all three and is very flattering (especially if you are a little larger)
Now I have only made one dress before this so I am no expert. So the thought of sewing with jersey made me worry but it was not too hard. There are no zips or buttonholes so it really is easy.
I love the outcome. I chose this jersey with geometrics as its a very fashion forward design in the right colours including grey which goes well with all my silver jewellery and shoes and sandals. It's also going to be great to layer to take me though the season. If needs be I could wear a cami underneath or a grey cardi and I have a great little fitted gold jacket if I really want to dress it up - perhaps a garden party!
Here are my tips for sewing with Jersey
- Take time to cut pattern to exact size - as it's multi sized you can adjust it to fit your figure and not the manufactureres size ( I have a very short waist - my neck to waist is more a size 8 but my hips 14).......How to choose the correct pattern size from Threads magazine
- Use a rotary cutter to cut out the pattern (this way the fabric does not move)
- Machine baste all seams first to minimise slippage
- Use bias tape on the shoulder seams to stop pulling
- I used the stretch stitch which gives a triple stitch to sew seams
- I used a Ballpoint needle to punch through the Jersey rather then cut it
- Of course polyester thread